Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Conditioning...What's that?!?

Started class Monday with our usualy warm-up of either a quick few laps around the gym or jumping jacks, some stretches, and then some rolls (forward and back). Of course I look like a weeble wobble with the back rolls. I get my legs halfway over and then fall to my side, just like a weeble wobble. After making the usual ass of myself, Mr. Hatcher gets up and says, "Ok, lets try some conditioning. I want to give you a taste of my routine." I'm thinking, "F%&#! Im already out of breath, queezy, and just feeling like crap! Now this!!" So he starts what I like to call "Five minutes of fat girl hell." Not that I'm fat... but curvy, and top heavy. We start with 1 minute of non-stop mountain climbers. Move onto 1 minute of knee push-ups, then turn to our backs for 1 minute of scissor kicks. We finish out with 1 minute of crunches, and one minute of oompa's left and right. After all this I feel like a freaking loser! I am so out of shape it is ridiculous! I am vowing to do this routine daily until I can do it with ease! I hate feeling behind! I'm such a spaz and perfectionist and this is a true test for me! Throw data in front of me and I will have you a spreadsheet that does all the equations and problem solving for you in less than an hour. Make me do 5 minutes of non-stop excersizes and I crack like an saltine! I am determined to do this and do it well!

3 comments:

slideyfoot said...

Judging by that description and your picture, sounds like your build isn't too dissimilar to my girlfriend. I've been trying to get her along to a BJJ class for a long time now, but she isn't keen.

As far as I can tell, that's due to four main reasons: she doesn't like exercise; I tend to babble about BJJ a lot (I'm trying to stop that, but tough to keep my mouth shut about hobbies I enjoy); she thinks its a bit painful; class is expensive (always going to be a problem, I guess).

Any advice on encouraging her to give it a go? I've tried going through some stuff at home and emphasising the self-defence aspect (we originally met in a martial arts class, and the self-defence thing was her reason for doing that at uni), along with the heavy fitness element, but no luck so far.

All comes down to a matter of taste in the end, but I thought it worth asking if you had any ideas. :)

BJJ Girl said...

In all honesty... This was way outside the box for me. I tried it... and I love it. Aside from all the wonderful things I have learned and how freaking awesome it is, it has made my sex life even better than it was! You might throw that in there ;). I didn't like to work out when I started, I didn't realize about the self defense aspect until after I had started into it. As for the money, yes expensive, but well worth it if you end up enjoying it. I would suggest her coming and watching a few classes and see if it might be something she might enjoy doing with you. BJJ has really evolved into something so much different then my first impression. The pain only makes you tougher.. and you don't get hurt as much as you progress and learn. I stay pretty banged up still... infact I have a HUGE bruise starting down my knee all the way down to ankle... I know most women don't like that aspect of it, but it isn't like that all the time. BJJ has been very rewarding in many aspects of my life.

Of course I don't think it is for everybody... Different strokes for different folks.

slideyfoot said...

Cheers, useful advice - I'll give that a try.

If she gets back to uni, might also be able to do some kind of exchange: i.e., I'll go to ballroom dancing with her if she'll come along to judo with me. ;)