Saturday, June 21, 2008

My first technique class, and post...

Well, today was my first technique class for BJJ. Only 4 of us showed up, including my best friend Patrick, who rode with me. We worked on the arm bar from full guard, and the arm bar from the mount when they try to elbow escape. This is something I will have to drill many, many times to get it stuck in my head and make it a 'natural' motion. I have been training since April, but my job sometimes makes my classes sparatic. Now that work has calmed down, I am able to focus more on BJJ. Which is very exciting, considering this is something I never thoguht I would get into! After class, Patrick and I stuck around for a bit to spar and work on the things we learned in class this morning. During sparring sessions, I feel like the techniques and variations are making more sense to me now. I am able to actually do something without having to stop and ask "where do I go from here?". So definitely taking a step in the right direction.

One thing I HAVE to work on are my back rolls. I can't seem to get my feet over my head! I did it a few times in my home gym. But at class, I can't seem to get it. And this is really embarassing to me for a few reasons. One being Im usually the only girl in the class. And two, I feel like Im holding everyone up trying to get across the room looking like a weeble wobble! Much practice is needed there! I tend to be pretty hard on myself when it comes to things I dont' get immediately. But this is also a great challenge, and it motivates me to get it! So hopefully a bright future for me and the back rolls!

Patrick is always a willing partner. I am trying to get to know some of the other guys in my class better though! There is another white belt named Jimmy who is very nice and doesn't mind working with me, even though I'm a girl. Sometimes I feel like the guys don't want to work with me because they are afraid of hurting me! This is really aggravating. I just want to yell,"I'M A BIG GIRL! BRING IT ON!" But yeah, I don't see that happening. Everyone is nice, and respectful, but in this case, I want to be treated like everyone else. Equal.

1 comment:

slideyfoot said...

If you've recently started in BJJ, you might find this BJJ Beginner FAQ useful.

As I mention in there, I've found these threads are especially helpful:

Training, Stagnation and Tapping
Maximising What You Get Out of Rolling
Protecting Yourself During Sparring
Grappling Basic Principles
Advice for Noobs
First Day Lesson
Fundamental 5
Obvious Epiphanies

Along with these articles:

Starting BJJ Classes
Aesopian's Nuggets of Advice

Always good to see more women in the sport - I look forward to reading more of your blog. :)